It’s that time of year again and this year New Year’s 2022. Every year millions of people make a New Year’s resolution, but only about 20% actually follow through. I can believe it because when push comes to shove people will pick the path of least resistance. That’s including me. I jump into every resolution headfirst with no real plan on how I am going to accomplish it. I know that is the reason why after a month I fail.
This year I am going to take a different approach to this whole New Year’s resolution thing. First, I am going to stop calling it a New Year’s resolution. Call it what it is, it’s a goal. Here is how I plan on actually accomplishing my goals this year. This plan of action can help anyone take their goal and make it achievable.
5 Ways to Change a New Year’s Resolution into an achievable goal
- Pick a big goal. Write it down and put it somewhere you see it every day. Be specific, don’t just say I want to lose weight or I am going to save more money. Instead, say how much you want to lose.
- Now establish why you want to accomplish this goal? It has been proven when you have a goal with a why anchoring it you are more likely to follow through on it.
- Not only do you need to be specific, but you also need a deadline. Give yourself a due date. That way you are holding yourself accountable. Anyone can say I want to lose 20 pounds and not say by when. When you put a due date on it, say 3 months it then makes that goal real.
- Now, what are some small goals that you can do every day that will get you closer to your ultimate goal? Is it walking every day or working out for 20 minutes a few times a week. Working on your dream for a few minutes every day. Regardless of what it is if you make a plan of action for your specific goal so you can stick to it and accomplish it.
- Plan small tasks every day that will help you accomplish your goal. So if your goal is to live a healthy lifestyle. You don’t have to exercise and eat salads every day. The more you deprive yourself the sooner you will fail. Taking your big goal and breaking it down into steps rather than tasks that you can do every day will make that big scary goal achievable.
This is all about you because no one else is going to do it for you. Change is hard for everyone, but that doesn’t make us want it any less. A commitment to yourself tends to be the easiest one to break. The reason it is so easy to break is that the only person you are letting down is you. For some crazy reason, we are ok with letting ourselves down because as long as we are not disappointing anyone around we think that it’s no big deal.
What you don’t realize is that every time we let ourselves down by not finishing what we started we are hurting ourselves. We have a million reasons why we can’t do it, too busy, too tired, not enough resources, not enough money… Those are all excuses because you are scared of change. I was just like you until I started holding myself accountable for my actions. Taking the time to study and learn why I kept failing. Facing my demons head-on instead of avoiding them or even worse burying them. I am not perfect and I still have a long way to go, but I am willing to put in the work to get to where I want to be.
That is why you need a “why” because without that you will never take action. Even if you do take action you can walk away, forget, give up in about two months. What is it that you want? Why do you want it? Are you willing to take action to accomplish your goal? These are the questions only you can answer. Anyone can make a New Year’s resolution but not many can keep it. However, making a goal and having a reason for achieving that goal changes everything.
As 2021 comes to an end many of you are still stuck in the blame game because of COVID. If you haven’t realized yet COVID isn’t going anywhere so stop wasting time and making excuses. Make your New Years Resolution into a goal and get to work. I know I have many goals I plan on accomplishing this year. I will be sharing my goals and my plan to accomplish them on January 1st, 2022.
You can find out all about it as I post about my goals, plans, and progress on My Journey.
Need ideas for a New Year’s Resolution you can get some great ideas from Woman’s Day 50 Easy New Year’s Resolutions to Try in 2022 .
Hope you this article gave you some insight and guidance. Are you ready to get started on your self-love journey? I am excited to help you get started on reflecting on the present and set you up for your future goals.
Sign up today, and let's get started on this journey together!